Support the Department of Drama and the Dance Program at the University of Virginia
Attracting exceptionally talented students from across the country, the Department of Drama at the University of Virginia is a lively center of creativity. A visitor strolling through the Drama Building on any given day will see students engaged in scene rehearsals, design meetings and dance projects. The department is expanding its programs to accommodate rapidly growing student interest in drama and dance as well as new media technologies in performance and design. Annual support from friends and alumni helps us reach these academic and artistic goals.
THE DAVID & PENNY WEISS ENDOWED FUND
The David and Penny Weiss Endowed Fund was created by a group of University of Virginia alumni to honor David Weiss, former professor and chair of the Department of Drama and his late wife, Penny Weiss. The David and Penny Weiss Endowed Fund supports graduate education in Technical Theater (i.e.: Set, Costume, Rigging, Lighting, Sound and Theater Design) in the Department of Drama.
David passed away December 18, 2017.
Gifts in honor of David may be made to the David and Penny Weiss Endowed Fund:
- Online: https://alumni.as.virginia.edu/weissfund
- Please note the gift is for the David and Penny Weiss Endowed Fund in the notes field
- Please make your check payable to The College Foundation of UVA, noting David and Penny Weiss Endowed Fund in the memo line. Mailing Address: The College Foundation of UVA Attn: Alexa Andrews (PO Box 400801 Charlottesville, VA 22904-4801)
- Securities Gift Transfer: For information on making a securities gift transfer, visit: http://giving.virginia.edu/how-to-give/stocks-and-bonds/
GIFTS TO THE DEPARTMENT OF DRAMA
Your support helps to furnish our students with state-of-the-art equipment that enriches their artistic and intellectual engagement while supporting our programmatic offerings in both Dance and Drama.
Here are just a few examples of the how annual support can make a difference for drama and dance at U.Va.:
- Improved dance and stage combat rehearsal space
- Visiting guest artists
- Multi-media equipment to be used for integrated media performances
- Musical accompanists for our expanding Musical Theatre offerings and Dance technique classes
- Equipment for lighting, costuming, and design studios
Gifts to Drama of Department or Dance Program may be made
Click here to make a gift to UVA Department of Drama or Dance Program.
Please send a check made out to The College Foundation of UVA to the following address. Please note that you would like your gift designated for the Department of Drama or Dance Program.
University of Virginia
PO Box 400801
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4801
THE RUTH CAPLIN THEATRE SEAT CAMPAIGN
In April of 2013, the new Ruth Caplin Theatre opened, providing a third venue for live performance in the Drama Building. Your $2,500 contribution – payable now or over time (up to five years) – will not only help us furnish this dynamic new space with cutting edge technology, but will also give you the opportunity to make your mark on the theatre for many years to come. Your gift will allow you to name a seat in the Ruth Caplin Theatre, which will be acknowledged by a plaque in your name or the name of someone you choose. To make your gift today, please fill out and return this form or for more information, email email@example.com.
For more information about supporting dance and drama at UVA, contact:
The College Foundation